There are so many reason that I am (let us not beat around the bush) obese. Genes, over-eating, sedentary lifestyle, but probably the biggest reason I’m fat is because I’m pretty much okay with it. I am confident. I have a beautiful wife. I have great friends. Simply put, being fat hasn’t really had strong negative consequences.
I just had this discussion with Abby. I know in my head that I ought to lose weight. I shouldn’t wait for a consequence to push me to become healthy. I have plenty of good reasons to do it.
- Teach my son about eating/living healthy by example
- Reduce risk of heart disease ( it may run in the family)
- Reduce snoring and possible sleep apnea
- Feel better (less tired and lazy, I hope)
- Look better
For some reasons those don’t motivate me enough. So let me try this tactic…
How it’s going down | Can I get a witness?
I need your help to keep me on track. I read this lifehacker article in January. What I took away from it is that I need to let everyone know what I’m trying to accomplish so I feel like I have to make good on it. I’ve been meaning to write this post since I read that article, but have put it off. NO LONGER!
Here are my goals (and milestones):
- Bring my weight under 230 (BMI 30)
- Bring my weight under 200 (BMI 25 Healthy)
- Eat less sugar (<30g/day [this will be tough])
- Run in a 5K race
How I will accomplish my goals:
- Weight and measurement check-in once a week.
- Stretch everyday until a habit is formed (Any suggestions for a routine?)
- Cardio 4 days a week until weather is consistent, then…
- Start running until a habit is formed (Couch to 5K)
- Track food intake and exercising using myfitnesspal
- ask for support from random web friends and r/loseit
Where I’m at right now
- Height: 74″
- Weight: 324 lbs.
- BMI: 41.6 (YIKES!)
- Waist: 51″
- Neck: 18.5″
How to help
Please bug me and ask me how I am doing when you think of it. If I hem and haw, tell me to get with it and you are rooting for me (if you are). Let me know about your weight loss journey and we can help each other.
Thanks all! look for an update next week.